Re: Firewall?

 --- Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Mi, den 29.06.2005 schrieb Rakotomandimby (R12y)
> Mihamina um 20:23:
>
> > "Yong Chu Eu ()" <ceyong@xxxxxxxxx> :
> >
> > > Firewall
> > > within fedora is enought to secure my fedora
> box?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > You also need to secure your scripts, your
> filesystem permissions, your
> > server configuration, and so on... Security is not
> only about firewalling.
>
> And not to forget the human factor. The OP writes he
> wants to do online
> banking. It is then very important to have an open
> eye. Actually there
> are many attempts to do social reverse-engineering,
> called phishing. So
> never ever enter your banking data into a web form
> just because you got
> a mail to do so! Your bank wouldn't call you to do
> so. And do not follow
> links in mails which seem to direct to your bank's
> page. The target is a
> faked page to claim your personal data when a
> phisher did send you the
> mail. Some "bad boys" work with framing techniques
> to let you think you
> visit your bank's page while you do not.
> This all are examples for something a firewall can
> not protect you
> against. An email scanner for virus like ClamAV (in
> Fedora Extras) can
> protect you against phishing mails. Nonetheless,
> rise up your firewall
> as best as you can. It will help you to be a harder
> target for
> attackers. Use SELinux too.
>
> Alexander

Yong Chong Eu don't forget that security is not an
action ie turning on a firewall but a whole series of
procedures and processes. Start by looking at :-

- RHEL security manual
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/security-guide/

- Security Section in fedora forum
http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Fedora Core - The power of Open Source Now! Please search the archives and fedoraforum.org as the question is likely to have been asked before.

Catch me at http://members.lycos.co.uk/bubudiu/

Cheers
Captain Bubudiu