Re: Managing a server's resources

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 16:34, Belmin Fernandez wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on managing a server's
> resource. Things like:
>
> a) I use my linux server as a rotuer. How can I tell if I'm getting an
> unusual amount of traffic from a specific client? Any applications I
> should take a look at that might help me? Maybe some built in commands
> that chart information like these?

Ntop http://www.ntop.org/ is good to summarize network usage by
client/port and other views.

> b) I use the 'top' command to see if a program is stuck or something.
> Is there a 'smarter' way to do this? 'ps' also does the job but I like
> top's ability to sort. Which column should I look at mainly? I look at
> the CPU time one (I think that's what it was not near the computer).

If you want snapshots of the machine usage over time, install the
sysstat package and run 'sar' to view it.  Cacti http://www.cacti.net
is also good to keep graphs of network bandwidth and CPU use.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx