Fedora Core 4 and Rhythmbox: Popping sound?

Hello...

When playing any sound file (mp3, ogg, flac) in Rhythmbox in Fedora Core 4 (which I recently installed), a popping/static sound plays for a second at the start of each track, before playing the track itself perfectly. What could be causing this sound, and how could I get rid of it? The files all play perfectly in xmms.

System specs: a whitebox PC with 256 MB RAM, 80 GB HD, 2.4 ghz Celeron processor, integrated audio (AC97). Everything worked fine audio-wise in FC3. In multimedia systems selector, the settings were OSS for default sink and ALSA for default source (trying to change both to OSS or ALSA didn't work, just giving me error messages in Rhythmbox).

Anthony