Re: Has anyone successfully updated FC3 with FC4?

John et al -

I know just enough about Linux to just keep the basics running, so excuse the fundamental nature of this question:

How are the passwords handled for all of those /home dirs? Or do you do a manual copy of each user (and I do not have a list of the passwords), or did you copy the password file (after combining the shadow password file with it)?

Todd

John Summerfied wrote:

BRUCE STANLEY wrote:

<seriously-needed pruning>

Yes, you can save you home dir direwhere and then
copy it back, but DO NOT copy back the ~/.kde
kdeirectory.  Let KDE KDEate it new.  Don't know
how gnome would react.

OTOH I copied ~ from RHL 7.3 to Debian (Woody) with no drama, and years later from Debian (Sarge) to FC3, again without problems.

Not the original desktop though.