Re: Newbie: Kernel panic ?? FC3 2.6.11

Clive at Rational wrote:
Hi,

   I rarely run my Fedora Linux (FC3 2.6.11) machine
for hours at a time, even though Linux has the
reputation of being very stable.

Major source of system crashes here is hardware (including power).

    I left my Linux laptop to run overnight. When left

That's fine. I regularly run machines for weeks at a time.

the day before the command-line logon prompt was
showing, X was not running.

   When I looked at the Linux screen this morning it
was covered with lots of messages (see below) and lots
of hex values. I pressed the "enter" key and the logon
prompt appeared. I was able to log on and start X.

   I acccessed the Linux machine using VNC but running
a command caused the VNC Connection to drop.

   Looking at /var/log/messages I have pasted a sample
below. I don't know if there is sufficent information
provided. I don't know where a message sequence begins
or ends.
<snip>

Jun 29 07:39:20 localhost kernel: ds: 007b es: 007b ss: 0068
Jun 29 07:39:20 localhost kernel: Process Xvnc (pid:
4535, threadinfo=dcc97000 t
ask=dae8a1b0)

This is the kernel killing Xvnc. Why, I couldn't see clearly.

I suggest you
1. Open an accound at bugzilla.redhat.com if you don't have one
2. Create a bug report against the kernel. If it's not the kernel, someone will change it so don't be too concerned about getting the right component.

Describe as best you can what you did to create the problem. After you've created the report, you can add a file.

Create an extract from /var/log/messages that covers the entire span of time for one incident, and attach that file to the report.

3. Locate and install te latest FC 2.6.10 kernel. There have been several probelms with the 2.6.11 kernels and I prefer to avoid them.

4. Whether or not the problem goes away with the older kernel, update your bug report to reflect that fact.

Note: keep the .11 kernel in case it's needed for more testing.

Note: you might wish to update /etc/sysconfig/kernel so installing new kernels doesn't get grub.conf updated, and change grub.conf to boot a working kernel (if you find one).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait