Re: "Updating" i386 to x86_64

--On Tuesday, June 28, 2005 2:06 PM -0700 Kenneth Porter <shiva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now I have to look up how to resize the partition. I probably can't do it
on the root partition so I may have to grab a "live CD" and do it with
that. System currently has 3 primaries, WinXP64, FC4, and swap. (For some
reason the FC4 installer didn't give me the option to put it an extended
partition.)

parted in rescue mode refused to touch the partition, something about an unimplemented feature. So I just deleted sda2 from XP and created 3 new logical partitions of 16 GB each (sda5-sda7), one each for i386 and x86_64, and one common partition to share between them. Plus a 2 GB swap in sda8.

I then couldn't find any software to burn the DVD on my NEC burner. I tried xcdroast with cdrecord-ProDVD but it didn't like the drive. So I ended up burning the DVD-R using Nero on my other system running Win2k. It was bootable but corrupt, so I ended up copying the image from my server to the common partition using rescue mode and scp, and doing a hard disk ISO install. Then I had to reinstall the i386 version. So now I have XP64, FC4 i386, and FC4 x86_64 in a triple-boot configuration.