Re: APT-GET Repositories for FC4

On 6/28/05, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > This has been covered before, see list archives. E.g. Matthias
> > > Saou at freshrpms.net also mirrors Core and Extras in an Apt repository:
> > >
> > >   http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/4/i386/
> > >
> > > To "fix" the broken mirror-select stuff in Fedora Extras' apt, there
> > > is an update already, which you may need to install with yum or rpm.
> > >

> > What got fixed?
>
> See package changelog: rpm --query --changelog apt | less
>
>   %changelog
>   * Wed Jun 22 2005 Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi> - 0.5.15cnc7-6
>   - Drop fedora.us GPG key and vendors.list entry.
>   - Remove mirror list stuff (#161042).
>   - Drop no longer needed explicit python-abi dependency.
>
> > I installed the update, ran "apt-get mirror-select",
> > and got "E: Invalid operation mirror-select".  A total uninstall and
> > reinstall of apt still generates the same error message.
>
> No time to try and reproduce that, so if you are sure about it,
> maybe adding a comment to bug #161042 will yield a response.
> Maybe you need to clean up in /etc/apt/*, especially your
> sources lists.
>
> > After reading
> > the archives of the Fedora 4 test list my take is that the Fedora
> > folks will not fix mirror-select.
>
> Wrong.  Leaving it the mirror-select stuff was an accident. For FC3,
> download.fedora.us provided an apt repository. With FC4, this was
> discontinued, but the apt package was not reconfigured.
>
> > Their position is that a)  there are
> > no apt-get mirrors or b) they cannot legally reference available
> > apt-get repos.
>
> a) is wrong [see information in the mail you replied to],

I referenced their position (April 2005, FC4-t2 release).  Since I did
not install any of the test releases I cannot verity if Freshrpms or
Fedora.us had FC4 apt repos enabled at that time.  And even if the
repos had been available, there would be no references in the .list
files.

> b) is correct.

Let's see: "mirror-select" is no longer supported. sources.list and
sources.list.d are empty. A end-users are required to locate and
configure apt repos before use.

What is the point of Extras providing this package if it is that
devoid of features?

Perhaps they should just drop the package. The apt repos can then
provide a package that works immediately after installation.