Re: Internet slow starting speed

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 12:34, Jacques-Andre Boulay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing a problem when using my web browser (firefox, opera or
> konqueror) or my mail client (evolution): the internet initiating
> process is very slow.  For example, each time I enter a new url in
> firefox, its take a lot of time (7-8 sec) to load the new webpage.  On
> the other side, when I'm downloading a big file with it, the download
> speed is normal (in comparaison with windows xp) after the completion of
> the initiating process is done.
>
> Somebody have an idea of what I could do to solve this problem?  I know
> that rebuilding the kernel should help but is there other ways to solve
> it?
>
> Thanks in advance
> JA

Sounds to me like name resolution is having to time out.  You might try
disabling IPV6, I believe I read on the list a while back where that may
try delay resolution of IPV4 addresses.

Also check your resolv.conf entries and make sure all the nameserver
entries are valid.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@xxxxxxxxxx

The only difference in the game of love over the last few thousand years
is that they've changed trumps from clubs to diamonds.
		-- The Indianapolis Star