Re: yum - lack of features

Dan Track wrote:

Hi

Can anyone tell me why yum lacks the following ( or maybe it me):

1) Can't force a reinstall of package

For the package that you want to force an install from yum, remove only the database entry by running "rpm -e --justdb package" to remove the database entry. Then when you use yum install, it will install it again. As far as yum "knows", the package is not installed and will install it again.

2) Can't force a package to install if there are some minor dependencies
Yum is a dep solver. If deps cannot be met, yum fails as expected. If you want to do a nodep, download the rpm and override safety precautions in rpm. I have done this with gmc. This is however not good practice. Linking libdb.so.3 against libdb.so gets it to work, but no ICONs etc.

rpm -q --verify gmc
Unsatisfied dependencies for gmc-4.5.51-16.i386: distro, distribution-X, libdb.so.3, libiconv.so.2
S.5....T.   /usr/lib/desktop-links/distribution.links
missing     /usr/share/pixmaps/mc/i-cdrom-ORG.png
SM5....T.   /usr/share/pixmaps/mc/i-cdrom.png
missing     /usr/share/pixmaps/mc/i-directory-ORG.png
SM5....T.   /usr/share/pixmaps/mc/i-directory.png
missing     /usr/share/pixmaps/mc/i-floppy-ORG.png
SM5....T.   /usr/share/pixmaps/mc/i-floppy.png

3) Can't fetch a package

This may or may not be possible. did you check all of the options yum has?

number 1 and 3 are my most important issues.

Anyone got any ideas why that is?
A good design to yum. It does not make life easier, it does its intended function. Though "doing its best" and failing only when specific packages cannot be resolved would be a great feature.

Jim

Thanks
Dan

--
Anyone who stands out in the middle of a road looks like roadkill to me.
       -- Linus Torvalds