Re: Samba isn't accessible to Windows.

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 15:08 -0400, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:20:38 -0500
> From: Teo Fonrouge <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [FC4]Samba doesn't accessible to Windows
> To: jay@xxxxxxxxxxxx,   For users of Fedora Core releases
>         <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Jay Scherrer wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 14:50 -0400, fedora-list-
> request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >

> >>Subject: Re: [FC4]Samba doesn't accessible to Windows
> >>To: korgull@xxxxxxx, For users of Fedora Core releases
> >>        <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

> >>network.

> be

> >>smb://IP_ADDRESS.

> will
> >>>

> >>not

> >>starts)

> >>repeatable.

> >>Hello All,
> >>
> >>I had the same samba problem with FC4, along with a problem getting
> >>active my ppp0 internet DSL interface at boot, this two services
> was
> >>refusing to start at boot. This two services was working OK before
> my
> >>update from FC3
> >>
> >>I think that it was having something to do with SE, because to
> >>solution
> >>this I had to turn off SE, reboot, then turn on SE & reboot again,
> >>this
> >>(I think) relabeled the entire file system & after this; no more
> >>problems with the smb & ppp0 services getting working ok.
> >>

> >>best regards
> >>
> >>Teo Fonrouge
> >>

> >Can you give complete details with this solution? I haven't tried
> this
> >but it seems logical. I've been racking my head with this same
> problem,
> >But I'm still in FC3. I can smb over into Windows all day, but have
> no
> >authority to smb from windows to Linux. How did do you turn-on, turn-
> off
> >SE-Linux? Have you submitted this work around to anyone?
> >
> >Jay Scherrer
> >

> Hello Jay,
>
> You can find the 'Security Level' gui utility in the 'System
> Configuration' menu. Run it (you need to provide root password),
> select
> the SELinux tab and deselect the Enabled checkbox, reboot, and again,
> select the Enabled checkbox, reboot, this may take a while because
> the
> relabel process.
>
> Regarding your issues with your smb network, it would be usefull if
> you
> provide us with a copy of your /etc/samba/smb.conf file to take a
> look
> into it.
>
> Back in to FC3 I never had troubles with my smb network, this issue
> came
> with my new FC4 installation. So I think that your trouble may be more
> smb configuration one.

> [...]
Thanks in advance
Teo,
I am also trying to setup a file and app server for a nonprofit org. I
am using the secure setup smb.conf configuration from samba by example.
This is on a FC3 fully updated Linux server.
This is the problem:
I am able to smbclient into the windows boxes, without any problem. And
I have matched tcp and udp ports in the iptables and windows firewall.
When I explore my network neighborhood Windows can see the Linux server,
But for some reason I cannot open the samba shares on the Linux side. I
get a message saying "I don't have permission to access the server". I
have added all users using smbpasswd -a and enabled them with -e even
for root. I have recently turned off seLinux to no effect.
Any ideas?
Attached is my /etc/smb.conf:
#############################
#/etc/samba/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = SCHERCO
netbios name = GIMLY
interfaces = eth0, lo
bind interfaces only = Yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*Password* %n\n *Re-enter*new*password*%n\n
*Password*changed*
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
unix password sync = Yes
log level = 1
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
max log size = 50
smb ports = 139 445
name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
time server = Yes
printcap name = CUPS
show add printer wizard = No
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m '%u'
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r '%u'
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd '%g'
delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel '%g'
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G '%g' '%u'
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /tmp '%u'
shutdown script = /var/lib/samba/scripts/shutdown.sh
abort shutdown script = /sbin/shutdown -c
logon script = scripts\logon.bat
logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
logon drive = X:
logon home = \\%L\%U