Re: Window manager for power users?

Tony Nelson wrote:
At 4:35 PM -0400 6/20/05, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:35:27 -0400
Adam Gibson <agibson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

[Tall windows, short screen - vs. Metacity][

I see I am not the only one bothered by that too.  Changing screen
resolution has become much easier now that we have xrandr than it used
to be.  Windows created bigger than the screen can handle has come up
quite a few times for me in the past year.  You would think the window
manager would be smart enough to know that a 800 vertical pixel window
will be useless on a 768 pixel desktop.  Any buttons at the bottom will
not be unusable without trying to manually shrink the window by clicking
on the top of the window, dragging it down, releasing, moving the window

What seems really strange to me is that SOMETIMES you seem to be able to grab the window and drag it upwards by holding down the alt key while dragging (and the top portion of the window goes underneath the Gnome panel). Sometimes, this doesn't work and Metacity refuses to drag the window upwards any farther than the panel.

up some, and repeating if it still doesnt fit.  I think any window that
is created should be autoreduced to the max display resolution(minus non
hiding panels too) if the X or Y is bigger than the desktop.  It sure
sounds good anyway.

I've done the resize/drag/resize/drag thing a number of times here. :)

How about right-click on the window's tab in the bottom taskbar, choose
Resize, pick an edge by pressing an arrow key, then resize by arrow keys or
moving the mouse.  Press Enter to end the mode.  (Determined by experiment,
there may be a simpler way.)  Move works also.  This doesn't seem to
require being able to click on an edge of the window, so it should work
even if the edges are off the screen.

Thanks for the tip. I noticed the resize feature of the taskbar before but didn't know how to use it and forgot about it since then. I am sure this is documented somewhere but never took the time to look for it.

I do still think that if a window appears that is bigger than the desktop an auto-resize of the Y window size to the maximum screen resolution and placing the window at the top of the screen would be useful and would make things more user-friendly. There probably is a window manager that does that somewhere on the net.