Re: NIS, root access

On 6/17/05, Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 16:15 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Got a slight problem on my workstation. Basically when fedora boots up
> > sometimes NIS doesn't get started, so when the login prompt appears I
> > try to login as any user even root but the system won't let me in. The
> > only way in is to reboot and hope NIS works or reboot to single user
> > mode and turn of NIS. Does anyone know why I can't login in as root
> > when NIS is down even though the root password in stored on my
> > workstation and not in NIS.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dan
>
> Please post /etc/nsswitch.conf
>
> Thomas
>
> --

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't use the gui to add NIS, I use the Authentication section under
the ncurses "setup" program.

Here's my nsswitch.conf

#
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be
# sorted with the most-used services at the beginning.
#
# The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an
# entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned
# up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason
# (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the
# next entry.
#
# Legal entries are:
#
#       nisplus or nis+         Use NIS+ (NIS version 3)
#       nis or yp               Use NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP
#       dns                     Use DNS (Domain Name Service)
#       files                   Use the local files
#       db                      Use the local database (.db) files
#       compat                  Use NIS on compat mode
#       hesiod                  Use Hesiod for user lookups
#       [NOTFOUND=return]       Stop searching if not found so far
#

# To use db, put the "db" in front of "files" for entries you want to be
# looked up first in the databases
#
# Example:
#passwd:    db files nisplus
#shadow:    db files nisplus
#group:     db files nisplus

passwd:     files nis
shadow:     files nis
group:      files nis
#passwd:     compat
#shadow:     compat
#group:      compat

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files nis dns

# Example - obey only what nisplus tells us...
#services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files nis