Re: deleting login history after logging out

On 6/27/05, Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oliver Leitner wrote:
> > Ankush Grover wrote:
> >>Please tell me how to delete the user's bash history file after he or
> >>she logs out.
> >>I tried this /etc/skel/bash_logout
> >>
> >>rm -f $HOME/bash_history
> >>
> >>But it is not working.
> >>
> >>Can anyone tell me how to do this .I want to do it for every user.
> >

> > Dear Ankush
> >
> > the easiest way would be a cronjob, that does a history -c every 5
> > minutes or so.
> >
> > on a wider approach you might wanna try to make your own daemon, that
> > does the job.
> >
> > i hope that helps you further
>
> Wouldn't a better method be to prevent the creation of the history file
> in the first place?
>
> One way to do this might be:
>
> # echo "unset HISTFILE" > /etc/profile.d/nohistfile.sh
> # chmod 755 /etc/profile.d/nohistfile.sh
>
> I haven't tried this but it *should* work.
>
> Paul.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply.But my intention is too delete the history file
when the user logs out automatically.The example I posted is taken
from this link.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/gazette/tips.html

I tried this also

$HOME/.bash_history
not:
$HOME/bash_history

but it is not working.

I will try these
# echo "unset HISTFILE" > /etc/profile.d/nohistfile.sh
> # chmod 755 /etc/profile.d/nohistfile.sh

and history -c

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover