Re: NIS, root access

Dan Track wrote:

Got a slight problem on my workstation. Basically when fedora boots up sometimes NIS doesn't get started, so when the login prompt appears I try to login as any user even root but the system won't let me in. The only way in is to reboot and hope NIS works or reboot to single user mode and turn of NIS. Does anyone know why I can't login in as root when NIS is down even though the root password in stored on my workstation and not in NIS.

I've seen that issue when using LDAP, but not NIS. Did you configure authentication using the 'system-config-authentication' tool? What release is this?