Re: CD and DVD I/O issue

At 2:39 PM -0500 6/26/05, Benjamin Sher wrote:
>Dear Tony:
>
>[My apologies for getting the names mixed up in my last message]

That's OK, but you've done it again.  I think you want Alexander Dalloz. :)

>Thanks so much for the good advice.

You're welcome for the yum advice.  For your next question you probably
want Alexander or Paul Howarth or anybody with more experience than me.

>The DVD drive mounts perfectly well: I can see the files in the drive.
>The CD cannot mount ("cannot read superblock") But is that because the
>CD (i.e. "cdrom") is actually a CD Recorder?

No, it's something else.  I'd guess that the CD filesystem isn't what was
expected -- CDs are usually not EXT2, which is what the error sounds like.
Is it an audio CD?

>Both CD and DVD play fine
>(audio and video). Perhaps I should just leave well enough alone?
>
>Please see output of mount below:
>
>[root@localhost sher]# mount /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder
>/dev/hdc: Input/output error
>mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
>/dev/hdc: Input/output error
>mount: /dev/hdc: can't read superblock
>[root@localhost sher]# mount /dev/hdd /media/cdrom
>mount: block device /dev/hdd is write-protected, mounting read-only
>mount: /dev/hdd already mounted or /media/cdrom busy
>mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdd is already mounted on /media/cdrom
>[root@localhost sher]#

You don't say what kind of media you put in the drives.  Does it work with
data disks, say the install disks?

>Should I consider the matter closed?

I don't know.  The "failed" messages during boot (in your earlier message)
probably come from before fstab is being used.  You might find something
relevent perusing the dmesg log:

cat /var/log/dmesg | less

or:

gedit /var/log/dmesg

(I find the system log viewer inconvenient; both less and gedit have better
searching.)