Re: Mounting DOS discettes in FC4

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

Am So, den 26.06.2005 schrieb Uno Engborg um 14:01:

I have problem mounting MS-DOS discettes from Gnome. The discettes are handled by an USB discette unit from Acer.
The unit seams to be recognized when connected, as the drive makes some sounds indicating that it is trying to read the discette, and the Gnome icon in the Computer folder changes to a disk with an USB stick.

However, when I double click the disk it refuses to mount. The error dialog tells me that it need to know the file system type.

The same thing happens from the command line if I do

mount /dev/sda /mnt

but if  I do
mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mount
everything works fine.

I do have vfat listed in /etc/filesystems, so why do I need to specify the filesystem type?

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong, or is this a bug?

Uno Engborg

This is normal behaviour of the mount command. You always have to specific a filesystem. This is not necessary only when an according fstab entry exists which has the instruction which filesystem to be used. So you may add to your /etc/fstab

/dev/sda /media/usbfloppy vfat pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

(instead of "vfat" "auto" may work)

Then you are able to mount the USB connected floppy by running "mount
/dev/sda", or from nautilus too. Make sure the mountpoint exists.

Alexander

The problem is that the fstab entry:

/dev/sda /media/floppy auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

is generated automatically by fstab-sync when i connect the drive.
The mountpoint /media/floppy is also created automatically.
When the drive is removed fstab entry and mountpoint is removed.

So specifying auto as filesystem type doesn't seam to work. Is there some way of making that work? My /etc/filesystems look like this:

ext3
ext2
nodev proc
nodev devpts