Re: internet connection - PPPoE setup?

jamie murray wrote:

Has anyone had any problems running ADSL(PPPoE) with linux?I just installed fedora 4 today on my laptop(dell 9200m) as
dual boot and cannot connect to the internet.It's quite possible im messing something up here because I'm new to linux. It picks up eth0 and my xDSL connection. Both are listed as active but still
no email or internet. I thought it may have been the firewall and did a service iptables stop but to no results. I tried pinging another machine and it's unable to do so. Everything works fine on winxp and the network connections are set to obtain IP and DNS automatically.

If anyone can offer some insight it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Try the below link to get you started. I setup someone on the XP side using the supplied disks. It took so long connecting to the internet via first time setup, I dared not venture into getting Linux to work there personally.
PPPoE uses an IP address that has limited conectivity. Then it does some PPP stuff that I have no idea with some porthole device or something.

http://www.linuxathome.net/pppoe.php

Good luck, I did a google search for "pppoe setup on linux" . I believe that adding PPPoE might flag some that have successfully setup PPPoE.

Jim