FC4 poor sound with gnome - kde ok

I have a PC with an Intel High Defination Audio ( RealTek Azalia ) sound chip

If I use gnome the sound is very poor - it has clicks and crackles when ever there is sound
- it's not there when the sound is quiet or silent

If I start with KDE and use the control panel to set the kde sound system as OSS the
sound is perfect

... the problems is I don't want to use kde

has anyone any ideas - is this an alsa problem - I previous post suggested playing with the mixer
but I've tweaked every setting in the alsa mixer I can find to no avail

thanks

mal