SATA support for SMART [was Re: Using FC3: four outstanding problems and a search suggestion]

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 12:21:26PM -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> >If smartd doesn't work with SATA drives, what should we be using?
> >
> smartd ;)
>
> SATA disks *do* support SMART , but the current implementation of libata
> (if I'm not getting confused) cant send SMART commands to SATA disks
> yet.  When that is fixed,  smartd will be able to work with SATA disks.

Jeff Garzik libata development tree does support SMART on SATA:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_frm/thread/5c4c875c3d6278cb/2779852506ea5f12

   John W. Linville:
     o libata: update ATA pass thru opcodes
     o libata: minor style changes in ata_scsi_pass_thru
     o libata: filter SET_FEATURES - XFER MODE from ATA pass thru
     o libata: sync SMART ioctls with ATA pass thru spec (T10/04-262r7)
     o libata: fix command queue leak when xlat_func fails
     o libata: SMART support via ATA pass-thru

I don't think that it has been merged upstream yet, but if you are impatient and
inclined to roll your own kernel you could get it out of Jeff's git repository,
in the passthru branch:

http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/libata-dev.git;a=summary

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky