Re: How can I use CD Player? [SECOND (better) question]

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:02:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Hoffmann <oasf2004@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How can I use CD Player? [SECOND  (better) question]
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

--- "N. James Bridge" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 17:31 -0700, Hoffmann wrote:

Hi All:

I am new to Fedora, and I still didn't realize how

can

I use CD Player. I put a CD into the CD drive, I

push

the 'play' button and nothing hapened.
Could anyone explain me how to use CD Player?

Do you see a cd icon appear on the screen, with the
legend "Audio Disc"?
If so, double click on it and all will become
clear...

James

Hi All:

I do know that, right after putting a CD into the CD
drive, automatically the CD Player screen appears on
the screen. The problem is: when I push the PLAY
button nothing happens. It seems like it is not
possible to play a CD from the CD (drive), or the CD
Player is ignoring the CD that is into the CD dive? I
mean, with Fedora, all we need to do is to rippe the
CD first? If that is the case, multimedia should be
improved a lot on linux. Right now, all the time I
want to listen to a CD (without to ripe it first), I
need to move to Windows. Well, I would like to do that
with Fedora, instead.
Any new hint?
Thanks!
Hoffmann

I had a machine at work with this symptom and it was the lack of audio connection cable from the CD drive to the sound card that was causing the problem. This was alluded to earlier by:

"Charles E. \"Rick\" Taylor, IV" <tomalek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You need to open up your machine and verify that this cable is in place. The only alternative is to find a CD player that will play them digitally. Something like mplayer or xmms, perhaps?

--R