Re: live update for fedora core 5?

Jack Howarth wrote:
      Has there been any discussion of adding a live upgrade method to the
supported methods of installing the next Fedora Core release? I believe
Fedora would get much wider usage if users could be insured a simple
yum based approach to upgrade from one Fedora Core to the next. Also I'm
not talking about handing them a FAQ entry but rather provide a small set
of packages that they can install on the previous Fedora Core and run to
live update them via yum to the current release. I would like to stay on
Fedora but the iffy upgrade path has me seriously looking at Centos.
                        Jack

All right, but everyone still has to be careful of what happens when you upgrade certain packages that are part of Core--like postgresql. A lot of good your "live upgrade" will do when people discover that their databases are now inaccessible--which has already happened to one poor soul on this list.

I've heard many people say that Fedora was never intended for a mission-critical application. Well, the testing releases almost certainly wouldn't be. But I'm sure that any release of Fedora beyond 3 would be a good, rock-solid foundation for at least a year, if not two years--at which time I would expect any good server maintainer to be prepared to upgrade from scratch, perhaps using a detachable USB hard-disk drive to back up the /home filesystem and any database exports, on-site repositories, and the like.

All that said, remember that we use Fedora without paying any royalties. Now where else can you get such cutting-edge technology without paying a whopping licensing fees? (Not from Mandrake or Mandriva or whatever they call themselves these days, for example.)

BTW--I've always felt that what this community needs is its own site, or a regular contributing relationship with someone else's site, with a good, rich FAQ that will answer all the questions that come up again and again (usually greeted with the curt command to "read the archives").

Temlakos