No solution to crond excessive logging to messages yet?

FC3 i386

I was reading some posts to the list about trying to stop all the excessive
(and useless) log entries to /var/log/messages from crond(pam_unix):

Jun 23 15:41:01 crond(pam_unix)[7136]: session opened for user root
Jun 23 15:41:01 crond(pam_unix)[7136]: session closed for user root
Jun 23 15:42:01 crond(pam_unix)[7164]: session opened for user root
Jun 23 15:42:01 crond(pam_unix)[7164]: session closed for user root

As you can see, we have a /etc/cron.minute folder that contains things that
run EVERY MINUTE, as well as crons for five minutes and 15 minutes, in
addition to the standard ones that run every hour, and day etc.

You can imagine how massive and full of crap our /var/log/messages log gets
due to this. Since it appears that no one is planning on fixing the problem,
we end-folk have to resort to hacking up syslog to ignore it (I've never
come across this in various other versions of redhat, fedora, and even
yellowdog).

Regarding:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-February/msg06858.html

After futzing with the log level for "auth" in syslog... I have come to the
conclusion that it was poorly implemented in the crond daemon. I HAVE to set
logging from 'auth' to 'auth.none', as no other log level squelches the
messages. To me, that is poor implementation, that such useless messages are
considered "emerg" level log events!

Has anyone come up with a better solution to this issue, and I didn't catch
it in the list archives?

-Randall Shaw