Re: how to assign full access rights to guest

the "dangerous" answer to your question is to do the following: "chmod +s /sbin/halt" Note that shutdown and reboot are symlinks to halt. Have fun...

Jon

Doug Stewart wrote:

harshavardhanreddy mandeepala wrote:

hi
I am using Linux fedora core 3.
I want to shutdown the system from .bash_profile file
using
cd /sbin
./shutdown -g o
but when I run the file otherthan a superuser it is giving error message as
" to run "shutdown" u must be a root"
but i want to execute shutdown command as a non root user (Ex: guest)
Even i have used command for changing the ownership as
chown "guest" /root -R Still it is giving error.

This will not accomplish what you're looking to do and is a Patently Bad Idea(tm).

Is there any other way to shutdown other than .bash_profile from user "guest".
How can i give full permissions to my user "guest" as equal as
"root" ,so that i can run "shutdown" command.

Run `man sudo` from any command line and read up on this incredibly powerful and useful tool.