Re: fedora kernels (SMP, UP)

Hello,

> OK. I guess fedora core 4 installed 2 kernels in my laptop (I assume
> this because I have two options to choose from when booting:
> 1. Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp)
> 2. Fedora Core-up (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4))
That's ok.

> My laptop has hyper-threading capabilities so the default kernel is smp
> one, is this the best one for me to boot. From second option, up means
> uni-processors I guess, right?
I think, if your laptop has hyper-threading processor, the best choise
the smp kernel...

> Does every FC4 have 2 options (smp and up) installed by default?
No, only if you have smp or HT system.

> And finally where do I get kernel-devel for SMP? Also what's the extact
> name?
So, you install up the kernel-devel package only, because the smp option
you find here (in kernel config (make menuconfig)):
"Processor type and features->
[*] Symmetric multi-processing support" and etc.

Bye, Emeric