Re: [FC4] HELP! grub/reiserfs problem on fc4

spmirowski wrote:

Message: 12 Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:58:00 -0400 From: Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [FC4] HELP! grub/reiserfs problem on fc4 To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx> Message-ID: <42B37198.2090300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

Clemen Canaria wrote:

does anyone didn't get any problem using reiserfs under FC4?

kernel panic = not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknow-block(3,3)

hda1 - ntfs (windows xp)
hda2 - reiserfs (/boot)
hda3 - reiserfs(/)

any idea what to do?

Reiserfs is not bootable on FC4 TEST3 and FC4 final. I was going to report
in bugzilla but forgot to. It's a shame, reiserfs has certain features that make
it better than ext3 (such as undeleting files, ext3 delete it, it's gone), but it is offically
unsupported by fedora/red hat. How to make it work, I don't know, I switched to
ext3 for now =(

Stephen

When I tried Gentoo during a trial of different distributions, ext2 was suggested for the /boot partition and reiserfs was suggested for the other portions of the installation.
I setup reiserfs on some Fedora installations that worked when changes to the kernel did not hamper its mountability. During the setup, I chose ext3 for / /boot. I set / and /home to use reiserfs. I cannot recall what swap was.

In comparison, using LVM as default setups for recent FC installations use ext3 filesystem use forext3 filesystems for /boot, the others portions of the filesystem can be in the lvm.
If you want the speed of reiserfs, you can try such a scheme. I believe the ext3 /boot would not slow down things in the installation that use the reiserfs.

Nothing in Fedora is really supported.Reiserfs does not seem to be hampered interntionally and fixes to bugs in reiserfs were dealt with very quickly.

Jim

--
Others will look to you for stability, so hide when you bite your nails.