Re: bochs ?

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 16:53 +0200, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> I would like to run occasionally a windows only Application which I run on an
> old box running XP now. I'd like to remove the old machine and replace it
> with something like vmware. I've installed vmware trial version and it works
> on FC4 but I think this solution is too expensive to be a replacement for my
> old box.

I haven't used Bochs, but I expect it would be fairly slow since it is
emulating the processor.

In addition to VMWare, there is also Win4Lin, which is cheaper. They
have a few versions - a Win95/98/ME only version, and Win4Lin Pro, for
Win2K/XP. I have both. The Win9x version is very fast, Win4Lin Pro is
not so fast.

There is also the free QEMU, which is what Win4Lin Pro is based on. Like
Bochs, it emulates the CPU, however there is a kernel module (KQEMU) you
can use if you are running on an x86 which basically makes it not
emulate the CPU, and will speed things up significantly. Still nowhere
near as fast as the 9x version of Win4Lin. KQEMU will also work with
Win4Lin Pro.