Re: installing as a degraded RAID-1 mirror

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 13:57, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 02:51:14PM -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
> >     Does anyone know if it is possible to install FC4 on a new
> > machine with a single SCSI drive as a degraded RAID-1 mirror?
> > That is, can one just create a set of software RAID-1 mirror
> > partitions in diskdruid using just the partitions from a single
> > drive? The idea would be to get FC4 on the machine and then
> > add a second SCSI drive later to use for the missing RAID-1
>
> I just checked, and the installer won't let you create a RAID without at
> least two devices. So, unless I'm missing something, looks like a "no".

The one chance would be if you can go to the shell VT at the screen
before the partitions are detected and use fdisk and mdadm to create
the md partitions, then jump back and have the detected as you go
into disk druid. (You should be able to create them, but I'm not sure
if disk druid will find them when you get back).

--
  Les Mikesell
   les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx