Re: News Reader?

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 14:58 -0400, William Hooper wrote:
> David Cary Hart wrote:

> [snip]
> > The best solution IMO is to install leafnode which does all the work
> > including RegEx filtering.
>
> Pan is a news reader.  Leafnode is an NNTP Proxy server.  I'm not sure why
> you think leafnode is a replacement for pan.

I am well aware of the distinction William. Leafnode is not a
replacement for any news client. However, it allows different choices of
news readers.

For example, many people choose one news client over another for
filtering. Since leafnode does that better than any client I have tried,
using leafnode allows one to select different clients.

In addition, clients like Evolution and Mahogany lack the ability to
control how many posts are downloaded initially, downloaded as updates
or how they are purged. Since leafnode does all of this housekeeping, it
allows one to use clients - like Evolution - that are otherwise unusable
for nntp (IMO).

In my case, I use Evolution for mail and news. I could not do so without
leafnode or, perhaps, inn.

--
      * Eliminate Spam:         http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.htm
      * RBLDNSD HowTo:          http://www.TQMcube.com/rbldnsd.htm