Re: K3b 0.12 & GCC error

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:35:32 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Mi, den 15.06.2005 schrieb Alexander V. um 10:05:
>
> > This particular compiler version is blacklisted
> > because it
> > is known to miscompile KDE. Please use a newer
> > version, or
> > if that is not yet available, choose an older version.
> >
> > Please do not report a bug or bother us reporting this
> > configure error. We know about it, and we introduced
> > it by intention to avoid untraceable bugs or crashes
> > in KDE.
> >

> > Help
>
> k3b-0.11.23-3 comes with Fedora Core 4. What is the problem to use it?

Well, an obvious problem is that such a plain version-based GCC test will
bite more users if it is added to more applications.

The same check was added to k3b 0.11.24, too. And that is just another
bug-fix release in the k3b 0.11 series.  Whoever added the check, based on
the experience with GCC 4.0.0 miscompiling KDE, ignores the fact that Red
Hat's GCC version includes many post-release fixes which are not included
in the pristine release of GCC 4.0.0. One can only hope that an official
4.0.1 release will fix this mess.