Partitioning / LVM Advice RHEL4

Hi,

I am setting up a Dell poweredge box with two 70 g hard drives.  The default LVM partition has one / with everything in it, and two volume groups, one for each scsi drive.

Since I havent put the machine in production yet, I am wondering if I should manually reduce the one from 70 to about 40, and save off about 30 GB?  This will be running one application, nothing else to speak of, but I am a bit paranoid about log files filling up partitions and the like, especially on a server running an app like this day in and day out.  I am also paranoid about having one big /

Also I am wondering if mirroring is something I should even consider.  I don't think we need anywhere NEAR 140 gigs.  Maybe I could just make manual copies of certain files and leave them on my 'extra' 30 GB partition.

If anyone has a good general 'rules of thumb' type link or paper please share.

Thanks
Marc