Re: OT Linux question - running a process in background

Michael Yep wrote:

Hello

This is a general Linux question:

I have a large tar operation i started via a SSH terminal
Can I some how logoff / disconnect and not kill that process ?
In the past i have hit ctrl Z to send it to the background, but when I logout, all my jobs terminate
I heard that you can do something like this with NOHUP, but my process is running

   Hi Michael,

You can hit _*ctrl + z*_ then type _*bg*_ to put the process in background. That way your jobs wont get killed :)