Re: 2 computer network from Wi-Fi

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
I don't have physical access to the router which provides the internet
access.  an asus wl-330g,
<http://usa.asus.com/products/communication/wireless/wl-330g/overview.htm>,
provides
the connection to the router.  the wl-330g has been tested, and works,
in both eth0 and eth1 for the arrakis computer.

there are two computers, named arrakis and caladan.  the setup is:

internet        -->  router
router          -->  wireless signal
wireless signal -->  wl-330g network adapter
wl-330g         -->  arrakis eth0
arrakis eth1    -->  hub
hub             -->  caladan eth1
hub             -->  PAP2
PAP2            -->  telephone

the PAP2 <http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=651&scid=38>
is for VOIP and is from <http://www.telnetphone.ca/>.

does arrakis need to be configured as a gateway?

If you want arrakis to forward packets from eth1 to eth0, you need to enable IP forwarding. Its a kernel parameter, and can be specified in your /etc/sysctl.conf by adding the following lines:

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

(without the "> " parts)

Make sure to reboot your kernel after adding those lines, *or*

/sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

to make it happen immediately. This will allow packets from caladan to be forwarded through arrakis to the internet. Caution: routers beyond arrakis *must* know how to route back to caladan! If they don't recognize the IP address, you won't get a packets back! If this is the case, you might be able to get around that by enabling masquarading (NAT) on arrakis. Then caladan's packets will be sent out with arrakis' IP address as the return point, and arrakis will forward any return packets to caladan. NAT must be enabled in arrakis' iptables configuration. I used the following rules:

# iptables -L -t nat
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination MASQUERADE all -- anywhere anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

and my computer forwards and NATs the computers on my home and USB networks.....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx