Re: FC4 and NVidia Drivers: Solution

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:25:37 -0400
Mark Bidewell <mark.bidewell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In case anyone else runs into this.  The problem appears to be a
> conflict with selinux.  If you install the drivers with selinux disabled
> (I used selinux=0 at boot time), everything will work fine even when
> selinux is reenabled.
>
> Mark Bidewell
>
> Mark Bidewell wrote:
>
> > Ben Steeves wrote:

> >> Just to add a datapoint -- I just finished a fresh install of FC4
> >> (typing this message on it, actually) and installed the NVidia drivers
> >> (7664), and they work fine (so far).  When are you getting these
> >> segfaults?
> >>

> > I got them when running glxgears (but this was when I switched back to
> > the nv driver).  XWindows would normally come up as a blank screen
> > (although rhgb would work normally).  I tried changing to a low
> > resolution (800x600 instead of 1280x1024) in case that was the
> > problem, but nothing changed.  The other segfault was when I toook the
> > XServer down (ctrl+alt+bksp) due to the blank screen.
> >
> > Mark Bidewell

Thanks Mark for this tip. This was driving me batty. Funny thing is there
was no avc denial records in /var/messages so I had no idea that selinux was
the cause. When I started up today. The boot up messages said it would have
to relable my system. This seem strange.

I have noticed the following problem with X windows. I set a
Virtual 1600 1280 in my xorg.conf file but when I started X the Gnome panels
were blank and did not fit the screen size. I had to remove the Virtual
statement to get the default screen size of 1280 by 1028 then the
gnome panels showed up with icons. Not having virtual larger screen sucks. I
like to have two gnome terminals open which the virtual size allowed me. This
is definitely a change from FC3.