Re: FC3->FC4 upgrade hangs whilst installing kernel-smp package

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
I'm upgrading my test system from FC3 to FC4.
Because I don't have a working CD drive at the moment, I'm installer
from disk, using a /boot/installer directory with the vmlinuz and
initrd from disc1.iso placed there, and a GRUB entry pointing to it.

Does the grub entry have "ramdisk_size=8192" on the "kernel" line?

This works up to a point - but I don't get a chance to run mediacheck
(can I use a boot option in the grub.conf file to invoke this?).

Add "mediacheck" to the end of the "kernel" line in grub.

although the SHA1SUM checks pass on the iso images.

Each time the install hangs whilst installing the package:

kernel-smp-2.6.1-1.etc.

You might want to try removing the SMP kernel (and any old kernels) before doing the upgrade and then adding in the SMP kernel again post-installation.

One issue I noticed whilst upgrading was that an inordinately large amount of free space was required in /usr (nearly 2G on my test machine). I believe this is mainly due to the package name change in openoffice.org; doing a "yum remove openoffice.org" before the upgrade allowed the upgrade to proceed, and I was then able to install the new openoffice packages using yum after booting into FC4.

Paul.