X Crashes on terminal switch

Hi, I'm running a Compaq/HP nx9005
My problem is this, I recently did a yum install of qt-devel, and i believe it installed Xorg along with it,
now whenever I switch to ther text terminal, tty1 or any of them, and then switch back to X, my laptop freezes. By this i mean, the mouse wil still move, but the keyboard will not respond, and the video distortion that you get up the top when switching to tty and back to X remains. It will not respond to any key input, like Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. What can i do? If I press the power button, the machine shuts down cleanly.
Thanx
Pete