Re: renaming *.wav.mp3 to *.mp3 only

Antonio Olivares wrote:
Dear folks,
Sorry if this has been asked many times but I need
your help. I need to rename some music files that I
created using lame to simply file.mp3 instead of the
file.wav.mp3 format that they are in. I copied a
script from the internet but it did not work to encode
mp3 and I modified it so that I could get some output
and it came to *.wav.mp3

Here's the script #!/bin/sh
for i in *.[wW][aA][vV]; do
lame "$i" "$i".mp3
done

The resultant mp3 files had the *.wav.mp3 as I do not
know how to modify the results.

Regards,

Antonio

Years ago when I was really trying to learn perl I cam across this little program in a perl book. I think it was an O'Reilly's book.

---------  Begin program.

#!/usr/bin/perl # # Usage: rename perlexpr [files]

($regexp = shift @ARGV) || die "Usage:  rename perlexpr [filenames]\n";

if (!@ARGV) {
   @ARGV = <STDIN>;
   chomp(@ARGV);
}

foreach $_ (@ARGV) { $old_name = $_; eval $regexp; die $@ if $@; rename($old_name, $_) unless $old_name eq $_; }

exit(0);

----------  End program.

It is a handy little renaming program that has alot of usage.

It uses perl rename (and all the features) to allow easy changes to files or directories. Do be careful as there is no protection in this code for overwriting files that exist.

I save it as file_rename.pl

I can rename a whole set of file or just selected files by a simple command.

   file_rename 's/.wav.mp3/.mp3/' *

I use it almost daily for processing downloads and other things.

If I have a directory where I want all the files in lowercase.

   file_rename  'tr/A-Z/a-z/' *

Just thought I would pass it on as there are repeated questions on renaming groups of files.

-- Robin Laing