Re: FC4 Repositories

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 21:12 -0400, Temlakos wrote:
> When will the Fedora Extras and Livna repositories be ready, and when
> will I be able to download the latest version of apt from
> download.redhat.com for use with FC4?

FC4 Extras should be ready when FC4 is released.
At least it looks that way.

rpm.livna.org has repos for FC4T2 and FC4T3 so my guess they also will
publish shortly after FC4 release.

> I've already decided to wipe everything out and start clean, in order to
> eliminate some repo mixing problems I've been having. If I read things
> right, I should be able to use Fedora Extras, Livna, JPackage, and a
> "Flash" repo for most, if not all, of my open-source software needs. For
> the rest, I'll get the rpm's or the tarballs.

imho that is a good idea

> Also: will the FreshRPMS/Dag/Dries/Axel family of repos be compatible
> with the Extras/Livna family or not? If I may so observe, the continued
> incompatibilities between the two families serves no one's interest, as
> far as I can see--least of all that of the Fedora Core user.

The FreshRPMS maintainer has contributed some of his stuff to Extras.
I have no clue about Dag/Dries/Axel. I don't use them. I don't need
them.

I know I will get disagreements, but imho it is the responsibility of
third party repositories to make sure they don't conflict with
Core/Updates/Extras as those are officially sanctioned repositories.
While not sanctioned by RH/Fedora due to legal reasons, they also should
not conflict with rpm.livna.org since that is where a lot of Extras/Core
developers put their stuff that is not suitable for Extras.

Some cooperation is nice, and it is available - the maintainers of those
repos are free to participate in discussions on the lists, and some of
them do.