RE: Samba and windows on FC3

> Tim Holmes wrote:
> > Good Afternoon everyone:
> >
> > After creating a file server on a new FC3 installation, I have hit a
> > bit of a snag with samba
> >
> > Here is the smb.conf file for the affected server
> >
> > [global] workgroup = MCASCHOOL netbios name = SRVFS-01 server string
> > = MCA File Server security = DOMAIN winbind separator = \ idmap uid
=
> > 10000-20000 idmap gid = 10000-20000 winbind enum users = yes winbind
> > enum groups = yes printcap name = cups disable spoolss = Yes show
add
> > printer wizard = No idmap uid = 15000-20000 idmap gid = 15000-20000
> > winbind use default domain = Yes use sendfile = Yes printing = cups
> >

> > [home] writable = true path = /home comment = Home Directories
> > browsable = yes
> >
> > [public] delete readonly = yes writeable = yes path = /home/public
> > force directory mode = 777 force group = nobody force user = nobody
> > public = yes create mode = 777 directory mode = 777
> >
> > [pictures] path = /home/pictures write list = MCASCHOOL+tholmes
force
> > directory mode = 744 public = yes create mode = 744 browsable = yes
> > directory mode = 744
> >
> > [iso] path = /home/iso write list = MCASCHOOL+tholmes force
directory
> > mode = 755 directory mode = 755
> >
> > [ghost_images] path = /home/ghost write list = MCASCHOOL+tholmes
> > force directory mode = 755 directory mode = 755
> >
> > [rpms] path = /home/rpms write list = MCASCHOOL+tholmes force
> > directory mode = 755 directory mode = 755
> >
> > [webroot] path = /home/www write list = MCASCHOOL+tholmes force
> > directory mode = 755 directory mode = 755 [root@srvweb-01 conf]#
> >

> > the directory that I am trying to work with is the pictures share.
> >  can browse the directory, but I cannot write to it.  -- I strongly
> > suspect a permissions or authentication error
> >
> > the directory is owned by my network user -- UID 10014, and the
group
> > is root.  I am trying to create a folder from a windows computer to
> > transfer some files -- I am logged in and authenticated from my
> > windows workstation
> >
> > TIM
> >

> > Tim Holmes
> >
> > IT Manager / Webmaster Medina Christian Academy A Higher Standard...
> >
> > Jeremiah 33:3 Jeremiah 29:11 Esther 4:14
> >
> Did you check on the Linux machine that the /home/pictures directory
> actually has the permissions you think they do (ls -l is one way)?
Did
> you try *temporarily* chmoding them to 777?  Obvious, maybe, but I had
> ask.  If yes, the problem is almost certainly with Samba (or the
client).

> I almost recall a situation where I had to create accounts separately
in
> Samba and Linux in order to get it to work, even though I thought they
> were supposed to be synchronized, but it's been a while since I've
played
> with it.
>
> What version of Windows are you running?  Could the problem be on your
> Windows end?
>
>  --
> David Liguori
>
> --

[Tim Holmes wrote]

David:

I have gotten access, but it aint pretty,

I copied the section share info from the public share, and changed the
path on it to the pictures, and then chmod pictures to 777.  That has
solved it temporarially, but that's only good till school restarts.

I am running windows XP pro, and I suspect it is not a problem on the
windows end, because, my home share I can access without any problems

TIM