Re: how to adjust fan speed?

On or about 2005-06-02 10:22, Olga Urban whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 03:49, Klaasjan Brand wrote:

I just installed Linux on a former NT box. When it had NT, after boot up it
used to either slow down or shut down the fan, and there was almost no
noise. However, after I installed Linux, the noise persists and it's really
loud. How do I adjust the fan speed? Thank you.

If the box supports ACPI you can set the fans to automatic mode:
echo -n 3 > /proc/apci/fan/ <name> /state

The system does not support ACPI and APM. What do I do? Help! The fan is
really loud.

Regardless of how it sounds, this is not intended to be a silly answer.... But how about replacing the fan with a quiet one? Then you don't care if it runs all the time... Google "Langa" and "quiet" and "fan" to find some articles by Fred Langa on how to quiet down systems. Quiet fans aren't terribly expensive, and if this box was running NT it's probably about time to consider replacing the fan anyway!

-- Fritz Whittington "And I'm right. I'm always right, but in this case I'm just a bit more right than I usually am." - Linus Torvalds