Re: Yum and EXTRAS

Hello Michael -

|>| Packages in Fedora Extras are built with the knowledge that third
|>| parties will be wanting to provide things like MP3 support (and indeed
|>| that users demand it), so it's likely that livna (which has historically
|>| been compatible with fedora.us/Extras) will fill that gap
nicely.>>Seems strange that it was not possible to cooperate with Dag,

| ?? Do you refer to Dag's not so friendly paragraph in his FAQ?  Or is your
| message based on any other sources? We have June 2005, and I'm tired of
| hearing such complaints. Feel free to travel back in time and dig deep in
| the various list archives. Feasible solutions have never been found.

I don't have a horse in this race, but since you ask:

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/RepositoryMixingProblems

''Coordination among two or more repositories for compatibility would be
far too difficult and incur much greater overhead. Updates would often
involve multiple repository owners working in coordinated development
and simultaneous publishing in order to prevent user breakage. This is a
huge amount of extra development overhead.''

However the RPMforge folks appear to be four repos cooperating.

''Please help Fedora to have all possible packages, these problems can
one day be a thing of the past.''

Well, "Fedora" cannot have "all possible packages" due to restrictions
on which packages Redhat will countenance.  Therefore third party repos
are brought into being by the distinction between what Redhat can ship
and what they decide not to.  So the problems will be ongoing.

I also remember seeing some heated threads in the devel list a while
back.  This is not a complaint from me but an observation that since I
feel slightly indebted to Dag for enjoying his packages, he seems to me
slightly hard done by here.

|>which has
|>provided many fine and high quality packages to me in the past, but it
|>is possible to find harmony with Livna.  The effect is that Livna is
|>anointed by Redhat one-step-removed as the slightly Official vendor of
|>Forbidden Fruit when they provide Extras .repo enabled by default...
|
| No, that is not true. Fedora Extras is part of the Fedora Project. Any 3rd
| party repository like rpm.livna.org may choose to build upon Fedora Extras
| and Fedora Core and extend the set of packages.

"The effect is" being key, not that livna is part of Extras but that it
is externally associated as a place to get compatible packages.

Historically Dag's stuff was more than a pimple on Fedora just providing
Forbidden Fruit.  As a user I don't think it is good if Dag/RPMForge is
pushed out by an anointed Extras and it would be great if there was
better feeling between the two camps showing that this is not going to
happen.  (The idea in the link above that the solution to multiple repos
is that there should only be one uber-repo, and that other guys should
"submit" packages for inclusion in the uber-repo is unfortunate).

|>and
|>that Dag is frozen out from Redhat's "warm" embrace.
|
| How? Where?

I hope I explained better above what I meant by this.

| Just like rpm.livna.org or freshrpms.net, Dag's repository cannot
| be enabled by default and cannot be recommended either (contributory
| infringement and the likes).

Sure: Redhat decide what is in or out, Extras sans Forbidden Fruit is in
and Dag is out.  Therefore I feel a bit sad for Dag.

- -Andy