Re: FC3: kernel panic with latest kernel and updates

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 04:57 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:
> Setting selinux=0 does make the system boot al right, however the graphical
> display manager never comes up. Instead I get the following message verbatim:
>
> INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> and it repeats every 5 minutes.
>
> What does this mean? How do I fix it?
>
> At this point, I can log in as root or mortal user all right (using
> Ctrl-Alt-F1) but can not get either "startx" or "xinit" as one of the commands.
> I continue to get the respawning message every 5 minutes.
>
> Any suggestions?

Your X server is failing to start. Do you use proprietary drivers, e.g.
for nvidia or ATI chipsets? If so, you'll need updated versions to go
with the updated kernel.

You can check /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see exactly why X is failing (look
for error lines starting with (EE)).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>