Re: General routing question?

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 10:11, Phil wrote:

> > > I have COMPUTER A on NETWORK A that has a route to NETWORK B using
> > > COMPUTER D as the gateway
> > >
> > > Now if I I have COMPUTER C on NETWORK A has a route to NETWORK B and
> > > uses COMPUTER A as the gateway will COMPUTER C be able to ping a
> > > computer on NETWORK B?
> > >
> > Are Computers A, B and D on the same network/subnet? Does Computer D
> > have multiple NIC installed, which would allow it to work as a router?
> >
> Only computer D has multiple nics.
>
> But I needed to make computer A a router. then everything worked.

If A only has one NIC, then C must really be on the same wire as D.
Why can't C use D as the gateway directly?  Also, the outbound side
is only half of a routing problem. Things on the other side of D
must have routes back or D must NAT onto it's own address as it
forwards.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx