Re: FC3 on a VirtualPC needs PPTP support...

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 00:16 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
> I installed Fedora Core in a VirtualPC box on an XP-Pro with 1 gig
> RAM.
> It has been done because I need both Windows and Linux development
> environments basically at the same time.
> But to get at the sources from the Linux box I also need CVS access to
> the corporate server and this can only happen if I am inside the local
> LAN via a VPN tunnel. CVS is not channeled through the firewall.
> The VPN tunnel is served by a Windows2000 server with RRAS and it
> implements the PPTP protocol.
>
> So my best guess is that I should install PPTP support into FC3 and
> then go from there. I found this link in previous posts:
> http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-fedora-core-3.phtml
> Here one of the early steps is to get a new kernel:
>   kernel_ppp_mppe-0.0.5-2dkms.noarch.rpm

This is not getting a new kernel, it's compiling an additional kernel
module to run with your current kernel. This module is needed to provide
MPPE encryption as used by MS VPN servers.

> However, in order to make FC3 run at all inside a Virtual PC box I had
> to install a kernel update already. Instructions were given here:
> http://vpc.visualwin.com/Notes/FedoraCore.3.Final.html
>
> and in step #43 one does this:
> rpm -i --force kernel-2.6.9-vpc.i686.rpm
>
> which I believe will install a new kernel (correct me if I am wrong).

It will, though I wonder why they specify --force (which is almost
always a bad idea).

> What I am worried about now is if the PPTP install procedure will
> invalidate the VirtualPC kernel stuff so that I won't be able to use
> FC3 in VPC anymore...

This is unlikely. The kernel module required for MPPE adds one
additional module (ppp_mppe) and replaces the ppp_generic module. This
is done in a way that's uninstallable, so I wouldn't worry about it.

> And I don't like to start over like I have had to do several times
> already just to get Linux going inside the VPC shell. So I am trying
> to avoid a self-destruct here.
>
> Anyone any ideas?
> And please forgive if the questions sound dumb, I am not used to Linux
> at all being a mainly Windows programmer...

P.S. I am the packager of the pptp package in Fedora Extras; you can use
either this package or the one on the pptpclient website. The
instructions on the pptpclient website also tell you how to install and
use the GUI configuration utility "pptpconfig", which is not yet
available in Extras.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>