Re: Removing old kernels with yum?

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 03:25 +0200, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 11:27 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > One of the consequences of allowing a kernel to be upgraded instead of
> > installed would be that the currently-running kernel plus all of its
> > modules would be deleted when the new kernel was added. So any operation
> > that needed to load a module (e.g. starting ppp if the ppp modules
> > weren't already loaded) would fail. There might be more significant
> > issues too (has anyone tried removing their currently-running kernel to
> > see what happens? not something I intend to try!).
>
> So I guess the pre-uninstall script should prevent the currently running
> kernel from being removed. I am just getting tired of accumulating old
> kernel even though I only use stock kernels and have them only to
> satisfy RPM dependencies.

If you've just got a stock kernel in to satisfy dependencies and you
actually run a home-built custom kernel, can't you just add
"exclude=kernel" to your yum.conf so that you don't get any kernel
updates? That way you won't need to worry about removing them.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>