Re: meta keys?

K. Richard Pixley wrote:

This doesn't work on fedora core 3, at least not out of the box. Can anyone explain to me what I need to do to get my meta key editing back, please? Or point me to relevant documentation that might help me figure out what's going on?

Thsi had me puzzled too. It turns out that the newer xterm code has UTF-8 enabled by default. This screws up Alt-x in emacs running in an xterm, for example, as it inserts a weird character. After some research into this, this is what I settled on - place the following in .Xresources in your home directory. Do look at the URL mentioned in the comment though. Note also you'll have to do xrdb -merge .Xresources once you've edited .Xresources.

!Quick fix for the Alt/Meta problem
!XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true

!Better fix for the Alt/Meta problem
!See http://www.leonerd.org.uk/programming/hints/xterm-8bit.html