Re: Grub drive order problem

av1@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Just to clarify my previous post, my /boot/grub/device.map file says this

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/hdb
(hd2) /dev/sda
(hd3) /dev/sdb

So the two IDE drives, hda and hdb are (hd0) and (hd1) as expected. If I run the grub shell forom linux and do "find /grub/stage1" it says

(hd0,0)
(hd1,0)

also as expected. My two copies of grub are on /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1.

However, when I boot the machine, break out of the grub menu, go into the grub shell, and type "find /grub/stage1", I get

(hd0,0)
(hd3,0)

So now grub thinks my 2nd ide drive is (hd3) not (hd1).

How do I fix this? Any advice appreciated!

--Cliff Avey

I found the problem. I went to the Boot screen of my AMI Bios Setup. I had previously used the boot priority option to configure my machine to try the cdrom first, then the hard disk. However, I had not noticed there was another option labeled "Hard Disk Drives". I went into that and saw that for some reason the drives were ordered

IDE Master
SATA Drive #1
SATA Drive #2
IDE Slave

This was why when grub ran natively it decided the 2nd IDE drive was (hd3).

I changed the order to

IDE Master
IDE Slave
SATA Drive #1
SATA Drive #2

After I rebooted, all was well. Thanks for your replies.

--Cliff