Re: How to turn sendmail authentication off

Cameron Beattie wrote:
OK thanks. I am getting a message  "[127.0.0.1] did not issue
MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA" in my maillog. I thought that
was authentication related but perhaps it isn't. Any ideas what may be
causing that?

Making a connection to the SMTP server and close it without actually sending a message will generate that message. Do you have something like BigBrother or other monitor program running? Those usually check the port by connecting and disconnecting, something like

	telnet localhost 25
	(verify you get a signon message)
	quit

Since no "MAIL FROM" or "VRFY" or "ETRN" command was issued (in other
words, a real mail command of some sort), you get that message.

If you get a ton of them, someone's probing to see if you are an open
relay.  If you only get one a minute or so, it's probably OK to ignore
it.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-  You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi.  -
-                                                -- Chuck Yeager     -