Re: Yum $releasever $basearch

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 19:53 -0500, Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On 5/24/05, John Austin <ja@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's really not that painful : ).  There are some things that you can
> do to help ease the pain.  Keep reading.

> > > This is to stop it getting reinstalled btw.; if you already have it
> > > installed, you can remove it using:
> > >
> > > # yum remove firefox.x86_64
> > >
> > > A plain "yum install firefox" should then pick up the i386 version
> > > because the x86_64 version is excluded. That's the theory anyway :-)
> > >
> > > Paul.
>
> That would work if firefox.i386 was in the x86_64 tree, but it is not.
>  That is, yum will only look in the x86_64 tree unless told to do so
> otherwise.  The programs/libraries that get installed that are 32-bit
> are actually in the x86_64 tree in addition to the i386 tree.  It
> would be nice to have firefox.i386 put in the x86_64 tree for this
> reason.
>
> > Paul
> > I confess I am not sure if what I am trying to do is sensible !!!!
> > Two problems really
> > 1. Installing to the "wrong" basearch (x86-64 versions not available)
>
> This is no problem.  The big deal about AMD64 is that it runs i386 as
> well as or better than 32-bit processors.  Go ahead and use that great
> capability when you need to : ).  Note that you already have some i386
> packages installed.  OpenOffice is the big one.
>
> > 2. Installing to the "wrong" releasever (yum repo not available for the
> > releasever yet)
>
> This is probably a Bad Thing (tm).  More on that below.
>
> > I have a Athlon64 machine with FCT3 x86-64 installed.
> > Although my first email was wrt firefox and yum
> > I have now installed firefox-i386 (tar) and
> > jre-i386 (rpm-bin) by hand. Working OK
> > (I have not tried your suggestion yet !!!!)
>
> Why not just go to your favorite mirror, grab the firefox.i386 rpm and
> install it by hand?  Or if you really want to, create a custom repo
> file with the i386 repo that you want.  You are right that you cannot
> use the normal mirror files; I just took the local (.us.east for me)
> file, copied the contents, and edited all the lines to have the
> correct arch.  CAUTION: you should have any i386 repos disabled by
> default and enable them only when installing/updating the needed
> 32-bit programs (use the --enablerepo option).
>
> > The general question is whether it is possible/sensible
> > to try to use yum to install such things on test releases such as
> > FC4T3 ??
> > ie Use things like dag's FC3 i386 repo on a
> > FC4T3 x86-64 built machine.
> >
> > I can force i386 and 3 in the dag.repo say
> > baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os
>
> Okay, first you install a test release, and now you are wanting to use
> FC3 packages with it? : )  It *may* work to install some FC3 packages
> if things have not changed significantly.  But it is probably not safe
> to have an FC3 repo on an FC4T3 machine.  Others may feel differently,
> [...]
Hi Jonathan
Many thanks for the detailed reply

I have cut and pasted/edited additional disabled repos with releasever
and basearch hardcoded and can select as required.

You are right the dependences when trying to install FC3/i386
give sufficient grief that the wait for FC4 proper seems short.
Many/some of the libs have been upgraded and chasing them all
for a test machine is just not worth it.

Just out of interest a typical output is shown below

Thanks again
John

The --enable less the repo really does work!!
 [root@shuttle64 ~]# yum --enable freshrpms_3_i386 --enable base_3_i386
--enable extras_3_i386 install totem-xine
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
extras_3_i386             100% |=========================|  951 B
00:00
freshrpms_3_i386          100% |=========================|  951 B
00:00
base_3_i386               100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
00:00
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
.
.
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libdbus-1.so.0 is needed by package nautilus-
cd-burner
Error: Missing Dependency: libFLAC.so.4 is needed by package xine-lib
Error: Missing Dependency: libhal.so.0 is needed by package nautilus-cd-
burner
Error: Missing Dependency: libexif.so.9 is needed by package nautilus
[root@shuttle64 ~]# rpm -qa|grep -i dbus
dbus-x11-0.33-2
dbus-0.33-2
dbus-python-0.33-2