Re: Scripting question, [small programming question

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 9:11 am, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Before you start something really complicated in a shell script, though,
> you should think through whether it would be better in a more
> comprehensive language like perl.  In shell, you have extra overhead
> of starting other programs for each operation.  This is done very
> efficiently but still is extra work compared to built-in operations, and
> there are some operations like working with sockets that are included
> in perl but not sh.

Pardon me if I don't reply to each of the contributors' posts in this thread,
but know, all of you, that I find this very useful, and I'm reading each of
your contributions to the discussion.

As to your comments above, Les, I have been doing some research and reading,
and had decided to work on Bash and Python. I'm currently reading a book on
Bash, and I bought one yesterday to introduce myself to Python. I had started
to work on Perl a few years ago, but never could get the steam up to really
get a grip on it. Lately, I've come up with comment after comment in my
research/readings on this subject, many by Perl programmers who've been doing
it for years, about the virtues of Python.

What do you guys think?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA