Re: Please: need help making a live FC3 CD

--- Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5/21/05, Antonio Olivares
> <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > --- Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I'd appreciate some help on the subject. Here's
> > > exactly what I need:
> > >
> > > I want to make a live CD that will give me
> exactly
> > > the same OpenOffice.org
> > > configuration I have now. Also, the USB
> attachments
> > > and the USB remote
> > > I have, that work fine with FC3 now, should work
> > > from this CD.
> > >
> > > The idea is to have a Live CD that I can use to
> make
> > > a presentation using
> > > OO.o Impress. I can prepare the presentation on
> my
> > > FC3 machine, and
> > > make sure it will work fine anywhere I go.
> > >
> > > (P.S. I have tried Knoppix, but the presentation
> > > gets all weird, with strange
> > > fonts. I don't know why.)
> > >
> > > --

> > > Gustavo Seabra
> > >     Graduate Student
> > > Chemistry Dept.
> > > Kansas State University
> > > Registered Linux user number 381680
> > > Say NO! to software patents:
> > > http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com

> > Have you tried the linux-live scripts?
> > http://www.linux-live.org/
> > You need to compile your own kernel or use the one
> > provided.  You need to compile squashfs and
> unionfs to
> > the kernel.  It is a hard job, I am close to
> producing
> > one but I missed it by 200MB.  The iso that I made
> has
> > 891 MB, and I was unsucessful reducing it.  I did
> not
> > have a dvd burner on this computer, else I'd be
> done
> > with a Live-DVD.  I will try on later and keep
> trying.
> >  I wanted my very own customized live cd based on
> > Fedora.  I know that there are several cd's out
> there
> > that already great but I wanted one that has the
> same
> > apps that I use and are on a cd that I can take
> > anywhere.
> >

> Antonio,
>
> What you are doing seems exactly what I want to do:
> have my very own
> live cd. I looked at  linux-live scripts, and have a
> question. So, it
> will make an image of whatever distribution I have
> installed, is that
> it?
yes, it will make an image of what you have installed.

So, I need to make an installation with only the
> stuff I want on
> the live-cd?
Yes, exactly.  It is wise that you remove all man
pages and elimate unnecessary programs which you do
need and concentrate on fixing the occupied space to
be less than 2100MB because the ratio of the image to
the actual size is about 1/3.
Or can I customize it to pick what I
> want only?
Yes, you have to be picky about what you want.  If the
size surpasses 700MB you are in trouble just like I
was.  Try to be carefull on how much you put into it.

> Second. If I install their kernel, does it replace
> my kernel or will
> it come as a new entry on grub, so I can use it only
> when I want, and
Yes, it does not replace your original kernel.  It is
just there to help you satisfy the requirements of
having squashfs and unionfs to make all working
directories of your live cd rewriteable.  Your
original kernel should stay there and all you have to
do is test your distro that it boots properly and
everything is in order.  Grub should have the original
kernels that were there.

I referred you to the linux-live scripts because I
have tried on/off several times to try to create a CD
that does what slax does.  You can use the boot
parameter copy2ram and everything runs from ram.  This
of course with the original SLAX live cd.  On my
custom CD, I tried to remove many things, localization
pages(languages, KDE-international,
Openoffice.org-iln??), unncessary stuff,
documentations, to reduce the size of the resultant
iso.  I will continue my work on this and hopefully
come up with a live Fedora CD that I can take anywhere
with the programs that I use most.

> I also took a look at the other distros. Adios seems
> to be another
> good starting point, and it already comes with tools
> to personalize.
Adios is an excellent live-cd having only tested it
two or three times.  It also has a way to personalize
it.  But I have not taken a look at it.

http://www.math.concordia.ab.ca/docs/custom-morphix.php
> has instructions that seem to be useful for other
> distributions as
> well. (not only morphix).
>
> I'll try more, and post the results here later.

I wish you the best of luck and if I succeed I will
post results as well.

Best regards,

Antonio